• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

ROLEX DATE JUST BEZEL "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I recently took in a rolex.. gents date-just for repair. I replaced all gaskets including the crystal gasket, the issue is the crystal leaking water (not even under pressure). It's seeping in between the gasket and the saphire glass undercut where the gasket seats. When I measure the gasket o.d (fit up to the watch with the crystal) and then measure the i.d of the bezel I see only .001" difference. When I press the bezel in place there is hardly any resistance from what I am accustom to "feeling". This is a first!! I have tried several new gaskets as well as a new saphire w/gasket with no luck. I am questioning the relationship between i.d of bezel and o.d of gasket. I am also wondering Rolex being Rolex if they manufacture various size o.d crystal gaskets to compnesate for machining errors on bezel i.d.'s.
Any ideas/help would be appreciated???
Dave

Posts: 110 | Location: Independence, Ohio USA | Registered: June 24, 2006
posted
Dave, could this Rolex been converted from acrylic to saphire previously? Check the serial number, maybe it was converted. I serviced one that I could not seal properly due to the fact it had been converted. Could not take a pressure test.
Another possibilty, wrong bezel on this watch.

Posts: 785 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
posted
Hi Ernest,
That is a possibility. The Rolex watches that have been converted usually have a convex dome (parabolic) on the underside for the hand clearance. I will check the serial number against case data. Thanks for your response this was a first for me. I finally found a gasket with a larger o.d. to satisfy the seal. The gasket was 1/100 of a mm larger. I could "feel" the bezel swageing onto the seal when I pressed it home. Some technical data on the bezel I.D. would be a help in a situation like this for I wasn't sure if I had a bad gasket or if the bezel was just stretched out from too many "on - off's", the bezel was stainless steel and fluted.
Dave

Posts: 110 | Location: Independence, Ohio USA | Registered: June 24, 2006