Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hidden Click ?? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bob Williams
posted
I have mentioned before I am dismantling a Elgin serial# 8920046. 15j grade 223. This watch is in really bad shape with lots of rust inside and the balance. This way I can dissect it and learn what I can while I do it.

I have mentioned before that I broke the winding staff just trying to get it out of the case. I have successfully removed the balance and the hair spring. I have not touched the fork or the escapement yet.

My question has to do with the power source. I have heard/read that you need to release the tension on the main spring before working on the barrel. This is to be done by holding the crown and releasing the click and slowly allowing the mainspring to unwind being controlled by applying pressure to the crown.

My problem was that on this watch I could not find the click from the backside or the front. I then loosened the screw holding the barrel and the mainspring released as soon as the winding teeth were disengaged. It was a very fast release of the spring. When I opened the barrel I found a small piece of metal shaped like a "U" , I guess that this was the hook that connected the center of the mainspring to the center shaft. I probably broke it off when I instantaneously released the mainspring.

Does anyone know this watch ? I found the click after I removed the mainspring barrel ( it was under it ).

How should this have been done? How was I to get to the click without removing the mainspring .

I am still a little rusty on the nomenclature, I hope I described things close enough to give you an idea of what happened.

Thanks again for all your help and insight.

Bob Williams

Posts: 52 | Location: Toledo, Ohio in the USA | Registered: March 05, 2008
IHC Member
posted
Bob:
You should always post a pic'-it saves a lot of time and questions,OK?
The click is usually released by turning the crown SLIGHTLY as if winding the movement tighter- just a tiny bit is all it takes. This will allow you to use a sharp piece of pegwood (or a toothpick) to push and hold the click free of the rachet wheel. When the click is held free a firm grip must be maintained on the crown-it will want to spin and release the mainspring all at once-as you have seen! The idea is to control that release,allowing a more gentle unwinding.
Now-if the click is hidden,in my experience it is released by using a piece of small gauge wire or (my favorite) a dulled needle. This is done by inserting the needle into a tiny hole on the edge of the plate in relation to the barrel-the hole is aligned with the click. Just make sure you have a grip on that crown before poking to hard!
Can you see the hole I'm talking about? -

Marty

Picture of Bob Williams
posted
Marty , you were absolutely right. I found the click after removing the mainspring barrel and there IS a small hole that allows for the insertion of a dull needle to disengage the click on the side of the watch. Without you pointing it out I'm not sure I would have noticed it. The movement is so thin.

Thanks again ...... I am learning something new every day.

Bob Williams

Posts: 52 | Location: Toledo, Ohio in the USA | Registered: March 05, 2008
IHC Member
posted
My pleasure-you'll find that same problem with full-plate Elgins;as for other makes I'm still in the dark myself-if you find out first let me know!

Marty