Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Taper pins for hairsprings "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Willy Coffin
posted
I came across this auction for hairspring taper pins. I suppose they would be used to pin the stud on the hairspring. Can you use ordinary taper pins for this job; or do you need specialized taper pins? This seems like a lot of money. Does anyone know what the value of these are? Can pins be obtained from local supply houses for this purpose?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2658117016&category=14325&rd=1

Posts: 38 | Location: Chenoa, Illinois USA | Registered: June 29, 2003
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Willy,
LaRose has hairspring pins in lots of (I think) 500, real cheap.
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Gee William,

Looks like you just saved more than the cost of membership...

AGAIN!

Seriously, Brian Cavanaugh is a great resource!

AGAIN!

I just couldn't resist that!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Willy Coffin
posted
I know that SLarose sells taper pins in various sizes, but I found none that were called "hairspring pins". I suppose that the smaller sizes of taper pins, are what you want to use for this job.

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Willy,
Give LaRose a call and try and talk to someone that knows about parts (this is getting very hard to do there). Tell them you want an assortment of hairspring taper pins. I have an assortment of steel taper pins from them in my bench, marked, 500 hairspring stud pins.
Good Luck,
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Willy,try Dashto horologicals,part # 019742.These are named "hairspring pins".They come in packets of 1000.

http://www.dashto.org/detailedmap.htm
Big Grin

Sam Williamson
NAWCC 154312
IHC Charter Member 14
Member Chapters 96 and 185

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
Picture of Willy Coffin
posted
Thanks, so much, for clarifying this for me. I've learned so much about materials and tools, just by shopping eBay! By the time I think I am set, I come across something else I wonder if I need! I used the link to Dashto. (It is getting harder to find someone knowledgable at SLarose.) Are there any tools that will aid me in moving the stud on a hairspring and repinning it? (It seems like a pretty complicated task to do without a specialized tool.)

posted
A studding table is a handy gadget. If you are handy at fabricating, you can make one yourself. And a hairspring colletting table. Add a Dumont #5 (very fine points) for manipulation of the small parts and Dumont Pattern H (stubby and strong) for setting the pins. All are likely available from Dash-2.

While studding and colletting a hairspring is a challenge, the real skill comes in the ability to vibrate and find the correct hairspring for the job. Throw in the task of forming an overcoil, and you can be a real artist.

BTW. I wonder how Tom Mister is doing with the advent of a hurricane barreling down on the east coast?

Mike Miller

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Willy Coffin
posted
Mike,
Dash-to has a couple of Hairspring Studding tables, of a different type. Which type is recommended?

http://www.dashto.com/newlists/tools.htm#013

(look at 013.488 - 013.490)

Also, is it advisable to have some of the hairspring collet setting tools on hand, to put the watch in beat with? I haven't seen these before, until searching for the studding tables.

I read a couple of books on the topic of securing the stud to the hairspring, but none reference any of the tools you suggested!

Are you proficient in the art of this fine hairspring work? I met a retired watchmaker, who went to a watchmaking school in the 1940's. He said that they spent hundreds of hours vibrating hairsprings, shaping them, and studding and colleting them. After graduation, he says he never did a single one! He said his wife went to a watchmaking school in the 1970's and they discontinued this part of the schooling. It probably is cheaper and easier (hairspring tools are expensive) to simply find another balance assembly and replace it for the one with the broken or bent hairspring. Is this an art worth mastering?

posted
Willy,

Am I proficient at these things... No way Big Grin I have been practicing and have made a mess out of many old rusty hairsprings I got at Dashto. But I did manage to get it right a couple of times.

Chapters 4 through 7 in Bench Practices for Watch and Clockmakers by Henry Fried has an indepth procedure for vibrating, studding, colletting and forming an overcoil for hairsprings.

The type of studding platform I was refering to is like this one...

Mike Miller

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Willy Coffin
posted
Mike,
Thanks for posting a picture of your studding table. I didn't remember it being mentioned in Fried's book, but after you mentioned it--I reviewed those chapters--and there it was! I have a vague understanding of how to use it. Maybe sometime you can give me a demonstration? Dash-to has a couple of studding tables, which seem to differ somewhat. I wonder if differences come from improvements of a previous design, or if they are really designed for another use?

I remember you telling me once before that you enjoyed hairspring work, that it was the "heart" of the watch. But I wonder how many watch people do these type of repairs, over replacing the balance assembly. Maybe for watches, that don't have as many parts available--you don't have a choice, but I would hate to invest in these tools if it is a skill that most people don't consider essential to the trade anymore. So advise me... is it something that I should try to learn how to do?

posted
Willy, as far as whether you should give hairspringing a try, you will have to answer that. Is it still an important need in the trade? I would think that it is still a need, but there is perhaps a small demand for this work. Unfortunately, supplies of hairsprings are small, and most collectors and are unlikely willing to pay for the work needed to get most movements back into condition. Movements with hairspring problems are relegated to the parts drawer. I took it up for the challenge and to learn more about the science of horology.

There are many professional watchmakers with many more years of experience that me that frequent this board... Lets hear some comment from them also Wink

Mike Miller

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Mike & Willy,
The two most requested parts I receive from people are for hairsprings and balance wheels. I think with all the new people learning watch repair and having accidents, is why the big call for hairsprings. People lacking the knowledge to replace a balance staff is why the big call for balances. They just want to drop the new parts in. Trust me when I tell you, "parts are getting scarce". The people that can collet, stud and straighten hairsprings as well as replace (or make) balance staffs, will be way ahead of the rest in the end. Ask anyone that knows watch repair and they will tell you, a good hairspring person and balance staff maker are hard to find.
Learn all you can about all aspects of watch repair and you will be, in demand.
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Picture of Willy Coffin
posted
That's true. You guys make some good points.

Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
A tamper pin manufacturing machine.

Pin Machine

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002