• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

swiss hunter case movement removal "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I've run across another thing that I don't know (daily occurance, I know Roll Eyes)

I'm going to tackle a generic swiss hunter case pocket watch that has been in the family. However, I can't figure out how to get the movement out! All of the other pocket watches i've done have been american style stem set and lever set pocket watches. However, this one does not slide out when I remove the case screws. It does not want to release from the stem. I KNOW that I'm missing something and I'm not going to force it (first thing I learned!)

Thanks for the advice,
David

Posts: 58 | Location: Dripping Springs, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: September 29, 2004
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
The stem must be removed before the movement will come out of the case. If it is lever set or pin set there may be a screw on the back side of the pendant that holds the stem in. Otherwise, somewhere near where the stem enters the movement there should be a detent screw in the back plate that can be backed out one or two turns to release the stem. If you still have trouble post a picture of the situation.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
This is a 1960's era swiss watch so it's not a lever or pin set. Would the detent screw be the small screw that goes *through* the back plate. This screw would probably have to be removed completely to free the pendant, I think, just by looking at it. Other than that I'm not seeing any set screws...

Posts: 58 | Location: Dripping Springs, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: September 29, 2004
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
A screw that appears to come through the back plate "might" be the detent screw, but I hesitate to identify it as such without a picture. If it is the detent screw it probably will not come out completely, but you should not turn it any more than necessary to free the stem; otherwise it might separate from the set-lever under the dial and you might then need to take the dial off to get it back together.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
A 1960's Swiss movement would probably have a detent screw similar to that in the attached picture. This happens to be a Unitas movement. Pull out the stem to the set position and with slight pulling pressure on the crown. Turn the detent screw counter-clockwise until the stem releases from the ste lever. It should only take 1 or two turns of the screw to release the stem.

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
YES! That's it. Stem came out just fine. YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!