Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham 0-size problem and mystery "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
I was just about to finish putting together a 15J 0-size Waltham movement, and had got to putting in the barrel arbor/ratchet wheel screw - only to find that the hole was UNTHREADED ! I can't remember what was in that hole when I took the movement apart some weeks back, but something held the ratchet wheel on.

However - how to fix this problem ? Having no means of cutting a thread in a probably hardened steel hole - I could wedge and/or glue a friction fit screw, but if glued would not allow a replacement arbor at a later date.

The hole would normally be threaded as all arbors must - I have examined the hole with a microscope and there is no trace of a thread. Odd ?

Dan

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
Dan

The barrel arbor in the parts list shows that it does take a screw.Waltham part number for the screw is #249. Don't have any idea what else would hold things together.
It lists diameter of thread as 0.83, tap required number 15.
Hope that helps you.

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
I don't understand it either. I have carefully looked at the opening in the arbor thru my 10X microscope, and even pushed a fine oiler down the hole feeling the sides - it is smooth sided right to the bottom, definately no trace of a thread ever having been there.

Dan.

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
quote:

Dan, I think your best bet is to get another arbor w/screw for your movement. I don't think I'd try to tap the one you have. IMHO

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks - sensible advice, and plenty of these movements were made, so another will turn upon eBay soon.

DM