Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Howard series 11 cronometer "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1357
posted
How do you get the snap on dial to stay put?

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I suspect you have a series 11 RR chronometer with a mvmt serial number under 1360000. All of those under that serial number range used the snap on dials and above that they have dial feet.

So....

It could be that your snap on dial which fits or snaps down on the plate by friction, is a bit loose perhaps by being pried off a bit too aggressively. Since we are talking about enamel dials with the snap on feature, it will be a delicate job to try and tighten the rim a bit without cracking the enamel.

Also check to make sure your second hand pinion lies slightly below the plate. If it protrudes at all and the dial contacts it, a pinion may be broken off if the dial turns a bit!!

If I felt confident in my abilities, I would very gingerly try and "reshape" the rim of the dial that friction snaps onto the plate. A delicate job for sure !!

As a last ditch effort I would use a tiny bit of silicone, the type that doesn't harden, on the inside edge of the dial rim and then try snapping it in place. ONLY a tiny tiny bit now !!

That's about all that I can do without special tools to fix the problem. If by any chance you don't like my idea[s], then do not try them !!

Hopefully a watchmaker will be along shortly to give a better answer. I am but a layman with limited knowledge........ really !!

Emailing a trusted watchmaker for a better answer, might be a better alternative.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1357
posted
Buster seems I can always count on you for good advice.I purchased the movt.s/n1183966 and the dial separetly.I thought about bending the rim a tad but I also thought better for fear of cracking the dial.Perhaps a drop of silicone is the best solution. Thanks Roger

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Thanks !! I do try....

How about cutting scotch tape to the thickness of the dial plate and putting it around the circumference of the plate ?? Then try putting the dial on ??

May be better than my silicone idea and completely reversible. Anything we try as a solution toward a "fix", should always be reversible.

The other thing that will work, is "dial tabs". They can be purchased thru various repairmen and outlets. Simple, inexpensive and a "snap" to use Wink The only reason I didn't mention them to start with is because when the dial is later removed, the sticky residue may cause a crack in the enamel if one has to "lift/pry" the dial a bit to get it off. And removing the residue on the dial plate can be a problem it also may slightly discolor the plate where the tabs were.

Good Luck !!
regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1357
posted
I didn't think of tape.Think I will give it a try! Thanks again Buster