Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Can Dent or Deep Ding Be repaired On Case? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
Picked up a watch. There is a deep ding and some dents on the side. Can that be easily repaired? Advice appreciated, thanks.

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
posted
It depends on the ding and on the case. Some cases are softer and the edges are more accessable than others.

I picked up a solid-gold, open-face case, some months back. I think it was a Keystone and it was very light-weight. There were considerable edge dents.

Our shop had an old tool, that looks like a pliers except it opens when you squeeze it and... it has rounded ends, that fit into the inside of the case-rim. It was made specifically to remove edge-dings.

On the soft, thin gold of that case, it was no less than miraculous. The dings simply disappeared.

But... I doubt that it would work the same on.... say... Siveroid or where full access to the case rim was not easy (as in a hunter-case).

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Peter said most of it. The ease of repair also depends very much on the skill and experience of the person doing the work. A warning, though, about the tool Peter mentioned. I believe that this plier is actually made to help install case springs in hunting cases. If you apply too much pressure trying to remove edge dents you could make the case band oval instead of round.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003