Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What is recommended repair for a stripped hole? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of William Chappell
posted
I'm working on an old Pocket Watch and the balance cock screw hole in the pillar plate is partially stripped. The screw will not fully raise out of the hole when unscrewed. But, the screw threads are fine. I'm thinking blue Lock-Tite, but first came to the board for their thoughts.

Thank You, Bill

Posts: 30 | Location: Mountain Top, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: November 20, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

From a mechanical standpoint that should work.

But first, you might want to see if any of the other similar screws in the movement might be ever so slightly longer. A longer screw may give you an additional "bite" that could help in this situation.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Bill,
I have had good results closing the hole a little with a round faced punch and making new threads. Be sure to pick a punch that is a little larger than the hole and give it a light tap with a brass hamner. Do this from the bottom side of the hole.

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004