• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Stained ? nickel movement plate "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello everyone, I was taking apart a 16s Elgin movement for a friend and when I pulled the dial I noticed a large area of the nickel had been stained a yellowish color, almost brass looking.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the cause may have been and a possible cure to restore it back to its original condition.
I do not have access to a camera at the moment and will post a picture later if needed.
Thank you,
Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Ray, hard to say without seeing it in hand I often see watches with stained plates numerous things can cause it, sometimes as a watch fails to run, quick fix liquids and increasing amounts of oil added until it seems to run or stops completely are not uncommon sometimes I open a watch and have to lay paper towels on the bench to wipe my fingers on and catch the oil as it runs out while I disassemble, smoke of course can work in, complete movements are dipped in home made cleaners often to effect a clean also cause havoc inside.
I would say if you do not intend to fully disassemble the watch I would consider leaving it as is the dust/fluff cleaning residues may well be worse than the stain, once disassembled I always start with the most gentle cleaning method, simple hot soapy water often worked wonders, if not professional jewelry cleaner in a ultrasonic tank up to non abrasive metal polish of which there are many. I prefer to stick to modern purpose made cleaners as opposed to trying anything under the kitchen sink, once removed wash in hot soapy water, rinse and dry completely before running through the cleaning machine as you don’t watch to transfer and contaminate the fluids.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Thanks Chris,
I did soak it some of the L&R cleaning fluid I have with a light brushing and nothing. It still looks terrible, when time allows I will get a picture posted.
Thank you again,
Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Here are the pics, nothing I have tried has worked and I just cant figure out what it might be.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ray

Is it possible it was a gilded movement & the brass has worn off & you are seeing the nickel underneath & not actually stained?

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Eek That must have been some clean they did, wonder what they used, acid. I was expecting a few heavy brown oil stains. looking at the banking pins I bet the whole watch set up could be fun.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi
It sure looks like it was gilded. However, there should not be any brass visible unless the nickel plating was also worn through. Could this be a case of too long time in the ultra sonic?
Krister

Posts: 375 | Location: Backaryd, Sweden | Registered: April 19, 2009
posted
It is strange, the top plate and balance bridge are perfectly fine. Whatever it was it was allowed to sit in this condition for a long time.

posted
Looks like plating has came off.Pictures look to be 7 jewel brass waltham plate?

Posts: 132 | Location: Warren, Oregon in the USA | Registered: May 28, 2008