• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Watch Cleaning "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi, as I've said before I am slowly learning the art of watch repair, but my main source of training is old books, however since they were written there have obviously been changes. Many recommend dipping in benzene, however nowadays we know it's carcinogenic, toxic, etc. and it's difficult to get hold of here in the UK. What should I use instead of benzene? Thanks,
-Joe

Posts: 78 | Location: Nottingham in the United Kingdom | Registered: March 30, 2013
posted
Can you order a watch cleaning liquid like L&R or something similar ? I think it would be safer

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Joe,
I believe the old watch books call for benzine, not benzene. Benzine is basically lighter fluid (naptha). While not the safest stuff, it's MUCH better than benzene, which is definitely a carcinogen and you do not want anything to do with it.

A modern replacement to lighter fluid is "One Dip", good for a final clean on balances, hair springs, etch that have to be impeccably clean and are delicate. Zenith makes one that is non-toxic and non-flammable (I think). It's what I use. I haven't used naptha or traditional one dip, plus I'm just learning myself, so I can't really say how it compares.

Here's a link to Cousins in the UK. I'd suggest contacting them for advice on what to use.
Cousins UK

Here's a link to Amazon UK for Bergeon One Dip, which is not the "safe" stuff I have, but probably similar to naptha.
amazon Bergeon one dip
Good luck.

Cheers,
Evan

Evan

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
posted
Thank you both, I would like to order a special cleaning fluid as you have recommended but the problems for me are both cost and choice, there are lots of different fluids out there but I don't know which works best for what. If you had recommendation on specific fluids it would really help. I have a 3 jar automatic cleaning machine with the baskets that I have restored to working condition (Apart from the heater, can't seem to get that going). Thanks,
-Joe

Posts: 78 | Location: Nottingham in the United Kingdom | Registered: March 30, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
Joe,
Here is what Chris Abel recommended to me when I got started and seems to work well. They are quite expensive, especially if you need them shipped since they're flammable (at least in the US), but they last a long time. You should definitely try to find a domestic source. I'd suggest giving Cousins or AG Thomas a call in the UK. They should be able to help you if you let them know your machine and what you're cleaning. A Google search also turned up Elma cleaning fluids which come in smaller containers, thus are less expensive, but I've never heard of them, so you should probably check around with watchmakers in the UK for recommendations (on that note a local watchmaker would probably be willing to sell you a small quantity to try it out--worth a call).

Zenith Formula 67 Cleaning Solution
Zenith Drizebrite Final Rinse
"Safe" One-dip

I have a Watchmaster ultrasonic cleaner and use the 67 cleaner for the first cleaning, followed by two rinses in the Drizebrite. I use the one-dip for hairsprings and to polish/peg jewels if necessary after the ultrasonic.

The L&R solutions are more widely available, and lots of people like them, but the Zenith was recommended to me and I've been happy with it.

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
posted
I've seen a couple of UK suppliers and think that may be what I end up using, I had a look at the Zenith soultions you linked to but the website says that they can be shipped outside of the USA at all. I'll give Cousins and AG Thomas a call and have a chat with the watchmaker who's teaching me. Thanks for all your help,
-Joe

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
LOL Benzine is known to the State of California to cause cancer.......
Actually I use Zenith and have no complaints except for the price.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011