Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin movement is loose inside case "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Gentlemen,

I hope I picked the correct section for this question.

I recently received a 1954 Elgin 21J 16s Lever set pocket watch in gold-filled case, and despite the case screws being tight, the movement jiggles inside the case as if the case is not original and its inner diameter is maybe slightly too large for the movement.

Do I shim the inner diameter of the case (possibly making it difficult to remove the movement in the future), do I create small washers for the case screws, or can you suggest a better cure to snug-fit the movement inside the case?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Posts: 72 | Location: Athens, Greece | Registered: January 21, 2013
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Your description sounds like an Elgin 571 (To help us help you, please include the movement serial number when possible.)

It could be the case is worn where the screws are supposed to clamp the case, leaving the movement loose in the case.

The later Elgin 571 models were "cased and timed (at the factory) by Elgin National Watch Co." as pictured below. If your case is different looking, please try to include a picture to help with this problem.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Dear David,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. Hindsight told me it was not fair to ask you to imagine the movement I am refering to without including a picture of it.

posted
David, your movement is much more beautiful than mine...

The case screw at the top left of my picture has the head chamfered parallel to the slot, as if it should be turned only slightly to clear the case as the movement is removed. Is this the original screw, or did someone change it for this one?

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Those "shaved head" case screws were usually a "Jeweler's choice" thing. They are bad for cases, causing undue wear and tear, making for loose movement conditions such as you suffer. The only "easy fix" for you would be a couple thin case washers. I make mine out of old Mainspring inner ends.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Many thanks, David, for your help.
Paul