Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

watch will run in one position. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
I have an Elgin that will only run when the dial is
in down position what might be the problem
bad/broken jewel on balance wheel or broken staff?

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
You may also want to look at the hairspring to see if it's level and not touching the arms of the balance wheel or the bridge, also could be a damaged train jewel, or one of the problems you mentioned.

Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Thanks Gary.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
I've got one that does the same thing. It's a cracked upper balance jewel in the bridge. Got to fix it one of these days. FYI, I use a bright white piece of thin plastic propped up on the bench and then light it up with all the lighting I have and actually look at it through three magnifying loups at the same time, about 25 power and then can see the jewels just fine. I can actually watch the pivot hang up in the crack and then pop out as it turns.
Patrick 1616

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
I did check the jewel but will giva one more look
at it thanks for the info .

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
My approach would be to completly disassemble the watch, checking the parts as I remove them. Clean everything and then put the drum in and the bridge and make sure it spins freely in all positions. Add the train wheels with their bridge and check everything again. Leaving out the pallet put the balance assembly together, bridge it and see how it spins in all positions. Now you have the watch complete minus the pallet and is everything working and turning like it should. 1-2 clicks on the Main spring and it should spin freely and when it stops it should actually back up a little bit on its own (Kick back) If everything is OK then put the pallet in and it should self start on its own. I kind of think you will find a problem with your balance assembly which can be fixed, but doing it this way will let you know that everything else is as it should be. It has to be a bent staff or a jewel problem or the hairspring is rubbing on something in the different positions. Also could be that a butcher had it before you and the parts are not the proper ones.
Patrick 1616

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011