• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

South Bend 217 movement "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a very rusty south bend movement, with a dial but no hands.I do not know how it got so corroded maybe underwater, who knows.I have soaked the movement in 3 in 1 oil for about 3 months.
I managed today to coax one screw loose, without breaking it.
I was thinking about soaking the movement in coke to eat the corrosion.

Is this idea alright or someone has a good idea for what i could do about it.
Thanks as always for all help. Smile Smile
I am undertaking this restoration as the 217 is RR grade and a good movement.

posted
Kevin, Instead of using 3 and 1 oil, have you thought of trying a good cutting oil. I have had equally rused watch movements. I keep a spray can of rust cutting oil for jobs on the car. I have used it successfully of breaking rust loose on very rusty watches. Just heavily spray the entire movement, set it aside for a couple of days, then try the screws.

Good luck,

Tom

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Kevin,

A commercially available product like Tom recommends is sold as "Liquid Wrench" here. I'd bet that or an alternative product along those lines is readily available, however the strong odor might limit it to outdoor use. Some advocate tea as an inoffensive rust buster for watch movements.

About the Grade 217 South-Bend movement. That is a fairly common 17-Jewel 3-position Model 2 model that was not classified by South-Bend as RR Grade. The 217 is lever-set and has the same plate layout as the higher grade 21-Jewel 227 along with the 17-Jewel 223 "The Studebaker" and 21-Jewel 229 "The Studebaker" so many of the 217 movements ended up as parts watches.

The 217 is a good watch and a nice one could be a fine addition to your collection

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks Lindell , i think liquid wrench should be available around here.
Thanks for the information on the movement also, i must have read it incorrectly some where.
Tom and Lindell how long would be the longest one should leave a movement in tea??