• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Dial feet "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I need to replace a quartz movement and the dial feet are gone off the dial. It looks like the old movement was glued to the dial. Any ideas on how to properly put a new movement in? Is it possible to add dial feet? Thanks for any help. Steve

Posts: 5 | Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan USA | Registered: April 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Dial feet can be soldered on to some dials. Use low temp. There is a tool made for doing the job. There is also a product called dial dots that adhear the dial to the movement. I have never used them, but I believe that they can be found at the various supply companies.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Although I do not own the machine, I am sure that I know someone who does. If I recall correctly, it is also a demagnetizer.

It securely holds the dial, and the the wire that will become the feet in place.

I will try to post a picture.

The info below is from this link: http://kant1.chch.ox.ac.uk/watches/HOWTO_dial_making/dial_blank.html

In the mean time, here are some directions on soldering the feet without the proper tool.

Adding the dial feet
Take a fine drill (say .9mm) and drill into the dial where the dial feet are to go. (Picture 4.) You only want to drill a little, about half way (.25mm). You can use the power drill, if you are brave, but a hand drill might be safer (I use a pin vise).

Now take a length of copper wire and file the end a bit so that it angles in, but still has a flatish end. Put a bit of flux in the hole. (Picture 5.) Get the filed end of the wire to stand straight up in the hole. I use a broken helping hands to position it. Put a bit of solder (1mm) next to the copper wire. (Picture 6.) Tweezers come in handy here. Now take the torch, light it, and heat that area, being very careful not to heat the other dial foot, if it has already been done. Move the flame in and out just until the solder flows.

After the solder cools, the copper wire should be firmly attached. Cut it about 1.2mm from the dial. Then file it to the appropriate length. I use a failed dial to hold it when I am filing. I put the foot through the sub seconds hole.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
Thanks Scott. I'll give it a try. Steve

Posts: 5 | Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan USA | Registered: April 21, 2008