Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Lift Angle & Beat "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Can anyone tell me the typical or list lift angles for American pocket watches (RR) also highest beat error that is acceptable?

Thanks

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Picture of Joseph Boone
posted
Chris, did you ever find this info? I'm interested also.

Posts: 379 | Location: Charlotte, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: August 10, 2012
IHC Member 1691
posted
Me too!

Regards

Peter in Oz

Posts: 259 | Location: Melbourne in Australia | Registered: March 19, 2012
Picture of Joseph Boone
posted
Hopefully someone who has it documented will chime in...

Posts: 379 | Location: Charlotte, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: August 10, 2012
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Guys,
Beat error should aim for <1 ideally < 0.5, where possible. Lift angle default works well at 52 but given the age, designs and makers there will be many variations most would be close enough not to make that much difference for normal set up, you cant beat an experienced eye to see if there is something wrong with what the machine tells you, you can calculate lift angle, may do a utube on it one day.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Picture of Joseph Boone
posted
WOW Chris, <1 thats quite good. The best I can get is around 1.5 - 2.0

Now I have a new goal to shoot for :-)

I've also observed that anything at or below 3.5 seems to keep excellent time and adjusts out well, atleast on the Hamiltons.