Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

One-Dip versus Naphta "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member
posted
I've been using naphta to clean parts and I'm worried about residue; especially if I start cleaning up something of any value.
What's a good rinse, or can I use this one dip on most parts instead? I'm not into taking shortcuts-I enjoy taking these pockets apart-but I thought maybe one-dip would be a good substitute for a guy without a cleaner-?

Marty

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Marty,
The cost of one dip is very high to be cleaning all of your parts in. Also, it evaporates quickly and you shouldn't be inhaling the stuff. I would think it will make your nickel plated pretty dull too. For $50 bucks you could put yourself into a nice used L and R spin cleaner with a dryer and you could use regualar non ammoniated or ammoniated watch cleaner and watch cleaner rinse. Save the one dip for the balance.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Member
posted
$50! Maybe I'd better start looking more in that direction-I gotta admit I'm getting a little tired of my naphta method...I was thinking I'd have to spend more like $150 plus, and I need other things more than convenience.
Thanks-I'll keep my eyes open. -

Marty

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Marty,
www.dashto.com has a L and R machine for under $40. You will need the jars and the the complete basket assembly. That will run you another $65 through Uncle Larry's Watch shop at:
www.execulink.com/~lfoord/index/horology.htm

Both of these companies are reputable. These cleaners can always be found at marts. Keep looking on EBay. I have a Zenith spin style cleaner that I use for a back up. I only paid $50 a couple of years ago. I have seen many of the L and Rs go much cheaper.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Marty

If you haven't bought any cleaning stuff since you last posted, I will look today (Sunday) & see what I have that I will give you if you will pay the postage. I have some L&R stuff but I have to dig it out. If you want to email me I can give you a list of what I have once I get it out.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member
posted
Thanks Scott and Tom -
Tom-I'll email you, thanks for ANYTHING,believe me! I sure hope to be able to up-grade my methods a bit.
Tom,let me know what you have and meanwhile I'll check out that cleaner Scott mentioned-I need everything except naphta and a cup!

Marty

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted

IHC Member
posted
Scott-Thanks-I needed to see a pic' of the complete set. Tom Brown(above) has been more than generous and offered to send me the basket assembly for only the mailing costs! With that and dashto's L&R machine all I need is (I think!!) a jar or two.
I know these things work sonically and that's about all.-I see three jars in your link,one is metal or plastic and the rest glass. If I have the machine and basket assembly can you guys tell me exactly what I'm missing? "Larry's" seems to have plenty of jars and lids fairly cheap.
I just rechecked Dashto's machine-it looks like the metal cup is included,so all I need is a couple glass jars-should be a snap!

Marty