• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cleaner for complete balance ect...? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
What is the best to clean the complete balance and pallet fork durring rutine cleaning? I am concerned with disolving the setting on the roller jewel and the pallet stones.
What do you all use?
Thanks,

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Aaron,
The Troop-Balas Co. of Tarpon Springs, FL makes a product called "One Dip" Hairspring Cleaner and Rinse that works very well. Just dip the complete balance and pallet fork assembly in a small bottle, swirl it around for a minute or two, remove the parts with tweezers and let it air dry. It will not affect shellac. "One Dip" is distributed by Vigor and most major watch suppliers should carry it.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...Aaron, what I do, and you may want to wait on more experienced advice, is to avoid rinsing the fork or balance in denatured alcohol as it will, as you likely suspect, tend to dissolve the shellac over time...no, after cleaning the fork and balance in the L&R tank I soak them in naptha for a time, clean the pivots in pith wood and then blow dry...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
posted
Aaron,

Like Ed, I'm a fan of One-Dip. For balances, I clean them with hairspring attached (if they aren't too filthy), then dry them in warm boxwood sawdust. It seems to impart a nice shine to the balance. The balance is then removed and any of the loose sawdust is blown off with the bench blower.

I don't know what others think about using the jeweler's sawdust. But my old watchmaker mentor has been doing this same practice for 50 years and seems to think it is good practice.

For the pallet fork, a simple dip and bench blower is what I do.

A note about One-Dip... S LaRose doesn't cary it any more. I just got some from Jules Borel. Grobet distributors have a very similar product called "Dip Once." But I haven't used it.

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
Aaron, the "one dip" is carried by Merritt's clock and watch supplies. Their website is:http://www.merritts.com

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I, too, use one-dip for the balance and pallet fork, but not as the sole cleaning effort. The "dip" is the last step after pithing the pivots and wiping the pallet stone faces (on pith or with Rodico) to remove any old oil residue.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
I use One Dip too, followed by a nice warm sawdust bath. A word of caution about blowing sawdust off--go GENTLY! Nothing like watching with horror as your too strong"puff"of air tangles the hairspring into a hairball! Eek Mad Frown

Sam Williamson

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002