Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Resetting a Loose Jewel "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
I have looked in my books and can’t find any information on this problem that I am having. Maybe it’s so simple, no one needed to publish a fix Wink
While cleaning an 18 size Elgin, I removed the jewels from the balance cock, put them in the basket and proceeded to clean. When I removed the jewel setting from the basket the pivot jewel had fallen out of the setting, the cap jewel was fine. The jewel looks fine and doesn’t appear damaged. When I look at the jewel setting it doesn’t appear to be a pressed in jewel, and I can sit the jewel back in the setting and it seems to fit with no pressure required. Are these jewels held in place with shellac?

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Grant,
These jewels are burnished in. If you look at the setting, there is a cut around where the jewel sits, leaving a thin band of the setting metal surrounding the edge of the jewel. Using a dull needle, or something similar, you can burnish this thin metal protrusion over the top edge of the jewel, securing it in place.
This procedure takes a little practice to master, (in my case a LOT of practice) so start slowly, the jewel may have a tendency to jump out of the setting hole and go skittering across the table if too much pressure is used.
Let is know how you make out.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Ed:

Thank you for the reply. I was hoping you were going to say crazy glue is the way to go Big Grin
I will give the burnishing a go tonight!

Thaks again,
gp

Grant Perry

Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Thank you Ed:
Your suggestion paid dividends!
It took a while to get the right pressure on the needle to burnish. The first few times, I thought I had it, but...no...the jewel fell out. The watch is running perfect.
Thanks again,
Grant

Grant Perry