• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Friction Jewel Replacement "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a Waltham 17J 12 size and I've managed to shatter the 2nd wheel jewel. Then Tom Brown helped me out by sending an identical movement for parts. What I'd like to do is take the jewel out of the parts watch and put it in mine.

How would I go about doing that? Are there simple hand tools that would work, or do I need one of those fancy Seitz press tools? A description of the procedure would be great, too!

Thanks!
Mike

Posts: 27 | Location: West Virginia in the USA | Registered: May 15, 2008
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Mike,
As much as I hate to advise this, if you don't have the tools, replace the bridge with the one from the parts mov't. The only other choices are to friction fit a new jewel, or burnish a new one in the jewel setting. Does the jewel setting have screws holding it in? If it does you can just replace it with the one from the parts mov't. Post a pic if you can.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
It is a friction set, I believe.

Exactly what tools are required for the two options you gave? I'd really like to learn how to do this myself!

I'm attaching a pic....

--Mike

Posts: 27 | Location: West Virginia in the USA | Registered: May 15, 2008
posted
The best tool you can start with is a good book. Otherwise it would take a lot of time teaching you all about jeweling on this message board. A good one to start with is "Bench Practices for Watch and Clockmakers", by Henry B. Fried. This book covers jewel work very well.

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004