Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 992B balance wheel hub "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1959
posted
Hamilton 992B balance wheel hub

When replacing a balance staff, the hub on the balance wheel fell off. Someone had been banging on it before me. Probably why they sold it as parts Wink do I need a whole new wheel or is there a way to put on a new hub? Thanks JMF

Posts: 340 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: June 28, 2014
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Remove the old staff (friction fit), and with care you should be able to reset the hub back in place if not to damaged, you will need check its centered if not quicker to get a new balance complete, if good poise the balance with rollers fitted, worst case was good practice Smile .

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 1959
posted
Thanks Chris
The hub fell of the balance arm when I removed the bad staff and rollers. It is pretty beat up and uneven. So Chris it doesn't matter if it is off the balance arm you can use it again with the new staff how do I attach it back on? Thanks JMF

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Without seeing it hard to say, if it has simple been punched out and still true you maybe able to put it back in carefully, and set in place with your staking set. If it no longer true just get a new balance complete, which of course may need adjustments.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 1959
posted
Chris, Thank you very much for you help and expertise.
JMF