Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Speedy wrist watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello,

My wife came home last nite and informed me her Lady Elgin was gaining time. Well, it is. About four hours overnite. I was thinking magnatism? It sounds like a jitterbug timer. Any opinions? And thanks for the help.

BTW, the watch was serviced last year and has been keeping great time ever since.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter 23
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God Bless America

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Aaron,

Leave the watch alone! At least your wife will always be on time, maybe even a little early! Smile

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Aaron,
The first thing I would look for is that the next to last coil of the hairspring has gotten caught in between the index pins. In effect this immediatly shortens the hairspring by a full turn, making the watch run very fast.
The nice part is that it is one of the easiest horological problems in the world to fix, all you need is a sharpened toothpick to gently push the 'caught' coil out from between the index pins.
Keep us posted, cause when mama ain't happy, nobodys happy!
Wink

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC #49688
IHC #34
http://members.aol.com/stdwatch/

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Ed, Thanks for the info.

The hairspring does look crossed but I cant hardly see it so I'll keep my fingers out of it.

John,

I need early. She it on some other time zone I think. Big Grin

Anyone want to take a look at this one for me. It may just need someone who can see it and push it back into place.

Thanks,

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter 23
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God Bless America

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Aaron,

If you're leary of touching the hairspring, you can try a watchmakers dust blower. Point the blower in the direction of the hairspring and give it a couple of gentle puffs. Your problem could be as simple as a tiny piece of lint or spec of dirt caught in the coils. Or as Ed pointed out, a coil caught on the curb pin. Either way, a little puff of air shouldn't damage anything.

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Aaron,
I would try demagnetizing the watch.
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@webtv.net

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
I, too, would try demagnetizing the movement. Especially with the "instantaneous" type demagnetizers, there's such a magnetic "jolt" that any "crossed" hairspring coils are very likely to jump back into their proper place.

At very least, demagnetizing the watch won't hurt it, and it might cure the problem (heck, it might even be magnetized!).

If all else fails, let me know, and I'll take care of it for you.

==========================

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002