• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

watch timing "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I would like to know if anyone knows of a good source on the web that has info for lift angle, amplitude, and beat for the most popular watches.
Any push in the right direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks
bobby@beadworldbeads.com

Thank you,
Bobby Pafralides

Posts: 15 | Location: Palatine, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 14, 2010
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Bobby,
If I don't know it or have it, I usually contact the AWCI, and they email me the tech documents the same day. That alone is worth the price of membership. Those documents have the lift angle and the beat. If they don't have the lift angle,and it is something old or rare, it can be determined by observing the balance in the watch. They don't list the amplitude, since it can vary a bit. As far as any lever escapement, you should want it to run at about 270 degrees flat and it will run less in the vertical due to increased friction. You don't want it much higher than the 270, and on some watches you are only going to get 220. You know something isn't right if you have amplitude of 180 degrees. A good cleaning, new mainspring, oil and good pivots and jewels, and good hairspring should get you plenty higher than that.

You can also determine vibration if you like to challenge your eyes, but it is easier to get the documents.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Bobby, for the vast majority the default of 52 will suffice as a good indication, most only vary say 5 deg either side, If I remember some co-axials are 38 to take the extreme, if you get to a point where you think the lift angle needs adjusting to obtain the correct amplitude reading you normally should see something incorrect, there are charts out there listing a good number of movements I have them here somewhere, if the watch is running approx 270, setting a precise lift angle reading has little beneficial effect over a experience eye that should spot problems. also watching the amplitude increase from start is a good first test (as I am sure many do who have older timing machines). You can of course calculate the lift angles yourself.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003