Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

some advice for a beginner please. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi everyone, i have been collecting wristwatches for years and now want to get into pocket watches with a focus on learning to repair them. i want to collect PW's i have repaired. can anyone suggest a brand and model that would be a good start? keeping in mind i will be buying broken ones on purpose for the purpose of learning and will probably mess up the first few.
thanks
Todd

dalarry

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015
posted
Hi Todd,

It is good to start off with a 16 size 3/4 plate movement. I would go with an Elgin as there are plenty of them out there. They are fairly cheap especially if your starting with a non runner. Initially you want to get the feel of handling parts and getting the train pivots lined back up in the plates. Take your time as the first few times usually don't go to well, but it gets easier as you practice tearing down and putting back together over and over.

Rob
www.pocketwatchrepairs.net

Posts: 580 | Location: Kingsport, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: November 26, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Not being a watch repair person myself, I HAVE read of others saying another one that is a good start is to get hold of a keywind 18s movement to practice on like those made by Elgin. There are fewer parts to deal with as you work your way up to the more complicated movements.

Just a thought, and welcome to the 'madness'!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
thanks guys,
just bought a couple of non-running elgins following your advice.
love the idea of trying to figure out what is wrong with them.
now i have to wait for delivery.
i'm sure i will be seeking more help soon.
now going to try to fix an old seiko 5 with a bad rotor bearing.
just bought my first staking set and can't wait to try it.
thanks again
Todd

dalarry

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
God be with you . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007