Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Fully wound watch running time "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1902
posted
Can anyone tell me the average number of hours that a fully wound pocket watch should run before it's wound down.
I know that there are loads of models and brands around so you can't give a definitive answer but I just wanted a rough idea.
Thanks a lot, Mike

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
A watch with a serviceable mainspring should run the watch for at least 30 hours. A newer mainspring should give you 36-40 hours of run time. This is assuming the watch has been serviced properly with no significant friction loses in the train or balance.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
even though the watch will run for 30 to even up to 78 hours on a 60 hour watch this does not mean it will keep the same time over the time period.

I might be wrong but with the mainspring fully wound it will run micro seconds slower. and when it will run fast when the watch is about ready to stop.

Is this correct DAVE.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Eugene,
I realize that I am not DAVE, but,
the question was how long the watch should run...not the rate difference over the time period. Isochronism is the ability of the watch to maintain equal time over the winding period and I have found most watches run a bit slower after a period of 24 hours or so.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008