• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Trying to install crystals "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
So I purchased a Rado Conway wristwatch that was in need of some help. I polished up the case and band, serviced the movement and the only thing left is to install the new crystal. I have a g-s crystal press and purchased some plastic crystals. The bezel measures 29mm, so I purchased some different sizes. The size that works is 29.1mm. Every time I try to press the crystal into the case, I break the darn things (about 5).

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.

Posts: 38 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada in the USA | Registered: November 27, 2010
posted
Im having the same problem. The book says to buy a glass crystal 0.5mm larger than the bezel. When I try to insert the crystal, I get chips and flaking around the rim. should I try something different. I have a press for back plates, but have chipped crystals with that technique also. help.

Mike

Posts: 56 | Location: San Antonio, Texas in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
Peter,

If you want to send it to me, I can probably do it for you. No charge except shipping.

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Mike,

Glass can be a bit tricky, but if you want to send it I'll see what I can do.

Roger

posted
Thanks Roger. My ultimate goal is to be a professional watchmaker. Unfortunately, there is no one in Las Vegas that I can apprentice under. With that said, I have invested in online learning and tools to get the job done.
Thank you for the offer but I think I would rather break more crystals till I get it right.
Any suggestions to lessen the breakage would be great.

Posts: 38 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada in the USA | Registered: November 27, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Peter, this may sound crazy but it has worked for me quite often

Try heating the bezel, and at the same time put the crystal in the freezer. You have to be quick but I have had some pretty good success doing it.

Bezel warmer? - Just put the bezel on a light bulb for a few minutes, and trust me, it will be HOT.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Peter,

Nice to see that you want to become a professional watchmaker. There are so many special tools for various tasks that enable you to become more efficient and productive. The key to installing plastic crystals is choosing the correct size AND having the tool to flex the crystal while at the same time sliding the bezel over the crystal and releasing the flex to lock it in place.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Your just not holding your tongue right, move it a little to the left....
Actually I agree with Lawrence. I use a heat gun but I like the light bulb idea too. But all my light bulbs are the pigs tail type. I did a post on this a few months ago. Crystal in the freezer and heat the bezel. As the crystal warms, it will expand and as the bezel cools it will shrink and if you get the two together right it works. I have two crystal presses, a cheap one and a very expensive one and I hate them both. I also have a Bergeon Crystal remover 6400 thats not worth the postage, let alone the $100.00 it costs.... Don't buy a bunch of junk .

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 456
posted
Peter, are you trying to install a tension ring crystal with straight sides or a crystal with an angled side?

Posts: 541 | Location: Mohrsville, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: February 15, 2005
posted
It has angled sides

IHC Member 456
posted
Ok, then you should be using a crystal lift, not a press. The crystal is initially placed in the holder on the left. The crystal is then picked up with the lift, compressing its diameter and released into the bezel. If the diameter of crystal is correct it should not turn in the bezel after it is released.

The purpose of the holder is so that the teeth pick up the crystal a bit from the bottom to leave an edge exposed to insert into the bezel.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mohrsville, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: February 15, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Thank you Michael, I will have to try that.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
I better make sure I am explaining it correctly. I am installing a round crystal by G-S with a silver ring inside the crystal that covers the edge of the dial.

IHC Life Member
posted
Peter...pictures would help. Here are pictures of a GS cabinet with a foot operated installation device.

IHC Life Member
posted
The crystal is placed on the proper size base and a rubber tipped press piece is selected.

IHC Life Member
posted
The crystal is placed in the device with the bezel around the top. The foot pedal brings the rubber tip down onto the crystal and is flexed. The bezel is then dropped around the flexed crystal and the pedal released to lock the crystal in place.

Note...the bezel in the picture is not the one for the crystal shown...just a demo.

There are other ways to do this like anything else, but this is probably the easiest.

IHC Life Member
posted
Roger, I took delivery of a crystal for a hunting case last week and could not get it to go into the bezel. In another day, or so, I was going to take out the emery cloth and work down the diameter until I could glue it into the bezel. Well, I saw your machine and description and got to thinking that set up isn't much different than my old Delta drill press down in the basement. I wasn't sure what to use for supporting the crystal, then remembered a useless wooden case repair block I bought several years ago (holes too deep to match up with case covers). Turns out one of the holes was perfect, being that it was just slightly smaller than the crystal. For the pressing tool, I took a spare 8 mm collet and put two layers of masking tape on the pressing surface so as not to mar the crystal. Just as you illustrated, I placed the bezel up around the collet and drill chuck so it could drop down properly onto the crystal. I lowered the press, it constricted the edges of the crystal, I lowered the bezel to the crystal, and "WALLAH," the installation worked perfectly on the first try Big Grin Thank you so much for sharing this great technique with all of us!!!!! Smile

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Way to go Bruce! Very creative and it got the job done just as well.

Your post should help others to make a similar setup.

Roger

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Hey man, I've got one of each of those. Thanks for the picture!

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 456
posted
Peter, it sounds like you have a tension ring crystal. For this you should have a press with angled dies that both compress the diameter and push down on the crystal when installing. Is this the setup you have with your press?

You can't use the crystal lift I initially pictured for a tension ring crystal.

posted
Hi guys. Sorry for the late replies. I ordered GS "ET" Tension Ring Plastic Watch Crystals, White Ring from Otto Frei and am using a GS hand press. It looks like Rogers using a hand press.
The bezel measures 29mm so I ordered 29.1 crystals and already broke around 3. It seems that the tension ring doesn't allow for the flex before the plastic crystal breaks.

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Peter,
I am not sure what type of dies you are tryng to push the cyrstal in with, but it must have angled walls. If you look closely at the picture that Mike K. posted, you can see that the die must have an angled inner wall. You can also use bakalite dies to constrict the crystal from the inside, but using tapered dies is much easier.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003