Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Soldered Escape Wheel "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1736
posted
The only way out of this mess was to find a donor watch with a capped steel escape.

A little pivot polishing and depthing and we were back in business.

For various reasons, this solution did not work. Kinda like, the perfect storm of pivot/jewel/banking pin issues.

See below for the final fix.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Paul,
Just a thought. Will the solder not effect the weight of the wheel on one side?
You might try spinning it in a poising unit and see just how much difference the solder made at that point.
OH Well
Pat

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 1736
posted
The solution was to chuck up the wheel and cut the solder off similar to cutting the rivet off a balance wheel.

Pressed the wheel off using my roller plate tool.

Pressed the gold flashed wheel off an 11J model.

Burnished the pivots down to .0075" to get the correct fit in the 21J pivots.

Burnished the finished length to get my end play. (the donor staff came from an open jewel model, I had to shorten the staff to achieve my end play for the capped jewels. Being constantly aware of not messing up my depthing and keeping the pivots long enough to prevent the shoulders from contacting the hole jewels.)

Pressed this wheel on to the 11J staff.

Verified the depthing on the escape wheel to ride center of the pallet jewels... Escape wheels are seldom pressed up hard to the pinion.

The final tweak was to adjust the banking pins to get catch and release correct. (I think I would not have had to mess with the banking pins... I think the previous guy tweaked them and I had to put the back.)

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012