Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Losing time? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello to all,
I have a 19j 18s Elgin BWR. This is probably my favorite model watch but anyway heres the problem. The watch runs well and keeps great time for exactly 24 hours then it will slow down and loose time. If I remember to wind it at exactly 24 hours it is right on but after that is looses. The watch is cleaned and oiled. Could this be a sign of a weak mainspring? The balance and hairspring are all in good shape. The overcoil looks to be correct. It still has an old blue mainspring in it.
Thanks for the advice.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter #55
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God bless America

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Aaron,
It might be something else, but you have described the classic symptoms of a 'set' mainspring. I'd try a new one and see if it cures the problem. Smile

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC #49688
IHC #34
http://members.aol.com/stdwatch/

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Thanks Ed,
Your expertise is much appriciated. I'll pop in a new mainspring and see what happens.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter #55
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God bless America

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002