• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

992 screw Help! "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
While servicing my 992b I lost my first part ever. It just flew and I just looked for hours. Nothing! darn.
I need one of the two screws that holds the hairspring collet? to the balance cock. The screws hold down a little plate over the collet. HELP and thank you a million.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Very Proud IHC Charter #55
We rise highest when we stoop to help others.

[This message was edited by abereiter on February 17, 2003 at 8:26.]

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
Ah-ha...... Been screwing-up, have you? Big Grin

Obviously, your first mistake was removing those screws all the way. You really should just loosen them enough to remove the hairspring stud, then tighten them back down to keep them from working out on their own in the cleaner.

Now, instead of just "looking" for the lost screw, you need to obtain a fairly strong magnet, and go over the entire area where you think the screw went, beginning in the middle, and working outward. Bear in mind that tiny parts will often bounce several feet from where they originally land.

If all else fails, e-mail me; I'm sure I can probably come up with another screw, but there's no need in exhausting spare parts unless the original really can't be found.

------------------

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
posted
Lindell supplied the needed part. Thanks alot Lindell!

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Very Proud IHC Charter #55

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
Very good. I just bailed Lindell out a few weeks ago when he lost part of the regulator on an 18s Hamilton, so I suppose he passed along the good deed.

Unfortunately, now there's two sparate parts that have been forever depleted from the remaining supply............

----------------

SM

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
I rarely lose anything, I buy them with missing or broken parts, then the search begins! Steve, your helping me and refusing to take anything for that priceless part but a "Thank You" inspired me to keep passing it along. That's now become the "Spirit of Chapter 185" guys! Just keep passing along that good deed, it goes 'round and 'round. It will come back to you time after time!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I havent been into many watches yet but have worked on more mechanical devices than you can shake a stick at. Believe me losing parts is not a habbit. Wink
BTW, Thanks again Lindell.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter #55
Chapter 185 Finance VP