Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Worn pivot holes, seven jewel watches, question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Folks,
I wonder if people can give me their opinions or experiences on this:
For pocket watches with seven jewels, how frequently do you encounter pivot holes that are distorted, worn, or out-of-round? If so, are there any brands that are more prone to this? Thanks,
Pete

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Pete,

I've worked on four or five dozen 7j watches which isn't that large a representative example. I usually work on them for the educational experience of working on a certain model of watch before I tackle a higher grade of the same model. That being said I often find noticeably worn pivot holes, maybe 20% of the time. I've also noticed past repairs where bushings have been replaced or closed up using a staking set or in some cases jeweled. Can't really comment on any brand being more or less prone to this type of wear. All of the examples I have seen with significant wear were watches that were very dirty and "dry" but somehow were still running, thus creating lots of wear from friction.

Best,

Frank

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
posted
Thanks Frank.
Anyone else find this condition more frequently?
Pete

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
posted
Peter, I have found them on a number of 7J watches, but can not pinpoint any one company.

Several years ago, I restored a 12S, 7J Elgin. After cleaning and reassembly, I noticed that the 3d wheel pivot in the top plate was badly oblonged. My thought was that this watch would never run, let alone keep time. I wound the movement, dropped in the balance, and it took right off. It keeps time yet to about 30 Sec/day. So, one never knows.

Tom

posted
Just curious. What material (metal?) was used for bushings in 7 jewel watches when a ruby bushing was not used?

Thanks,
Joe Straub

Posts: 301 | Location: Ogallala, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005