Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Movement cleaning "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I know this has been talked about before, but I need some help with this one.

I have a rare Illinois model 173 that I purchased off of ebay about 3 years ago. I opened her up for a quarterly winding and when I looked at the movment I noticed fingerprints and what appeared to be smudges.

I gave it a good cleaning with very light agitation and the fingerprints are still present. I dont want to scrub to hard due to the damaskeening pattern.

This is an old picture of the movement. Any ideas on how to get rid of those fingerprints and smudges without tearing up the damaskeen pattern.

(I use l&r waterless and a #3 rinse, jar method)..

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
posted
Hi Bruce, just my thoughts on this.I have used rodico in the past to remove finger prints, and for stubborn spots i have used acetone.Of course use caution with acetone, wear gloves and a well ventillated area.
Perhaps others will give ideas as to what they would do. Smile

posted
Fingerprints contain acid. If these prints have been on the watch for three years, there's a good chance that they are etched into the metal, and are now a permanent part of the watch. This would be disappointing, but not as disappointing as trying to remove them and destroying the movement in the process.

I've seen this often (much too often), especially on gilded movements, but also on polished winding wheels and nickel plates. The general rule is to never touch these parts with an unprotected finger. If it happens accidentally, you can use Rodico to remove the print and prevent damage. After the part has been etched, there's not a whole lot you can do (I suppose if it's a polished wheel you could repolish it. If it's on a damaskeened plate, I think you just have to learn to live with it).

Whatever you do, just be careful.

Posts: 72 | Location: Mechanicsburg, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: July 18, 2004
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I am finding that alot of the watches I buy from ebay contain smudges or fingerprints. I now (as of about 1 year ago) clean all of my watches that I buy from ebay. Even the ones that are "Pristine" get a good bath.

I used a combination of acetone and distilled water on the smudges and fingerprints. Seemed to do the trick. I used a q-tip and gently followed the damaskeen pattern..

I have heard of Rodico.. Where can I buy some?

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Bruce try Cas-Ker-Co. telephone 1-800-487-5848 OR http://www.casker.com i got the last rodico i bought from these folks...ask for their catlog
SAMIE L. SMITH
SS348 ON EBAY

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Rodico can also be purchased at most major material houses.

Posts: 130 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: September 25, 2004
Picture of Chris Schirren
posted
I would use Rodico also, because that does no damage and is great to clean most parts of the watch incl. dials, and it can help holding small parts in place. There are two types, green is for everyday use, blue is more "sticky". If I am not mistaken it is by Bergeon. What also may help is a silver cleaning cloth, I would try that also, but being very carful and watching in small steps what is happening.

Posts: 58 | Location: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: September 02, 2005
Picture of Chris Schirren
posted
Correction!
The green Rodico is by Bergeon, the blue is a "copy" and bit more sticky.

Posts: 58 | Location: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: September 02, 2005
posted
Bruce,

I am inclined to agree with Harvey...they may
be permantly etched. I would leave it alone.
You might however in a very inconspicous try
semichrome(sp?) that can be acquired from
S. Larose. or cas-ker as previously noted.
Coincindently, I own Ill grade 173 #1319777
marked 16 jewels. My movement is not without
very small spots.I have not bothered to remove
these spots.
Incidentally our movements are one of the few
3 finger183 grades found in the 173 grade listings.
Also I have 183 3 finger movement marked 16jewels
#1405503 with a different pattern than our 173.
Thanks a lot for showing your 173. It is the only
other marked 16jewel 3 finger 173 movement I
recall seeing.

173 16 jewel 3 finger movement I have ever seen.

Posts: 43 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: October 04, 2005