WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Technical, Shop Talk and Internet Links  Hop To Forums  Watch Repair Questions and Answers    Is there anyone available to discuss replacing a crystal on a watch?
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Is there anyone available to discuss replacing a crystal on a watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I need someone to walk me through the steps. I have the tools (or so I think).

Thanks.

Morgan

Posts: 89 | Location: Chicago, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: November 14, 2004
posted
Morgan,
Is it a plastic crystal? If so, you can use a crystal removal tool -- it has many prongs that fit around the edges of the crystal, and you can then adjust compression of the prongs to very slightly compress the circumferance of the crystal. That should allow you to remove the old crystal.

Next you should clean the bezel of all old cystal pieces, dirt, and glue, then thoroughly dry the bezel. You can then apply some crystal glue to the bezel (you should probably review some previous threads on that topic, though).

To install a replacement, you can set the replacement in the crystal template (or frame or holder) and use the same tool to slightly compress the crystal. Then you pick up the tool and fit the crystal carefully in the bezel. Once the cyrstal fits all the way around (can be a bit tricky), gently release the crystal tool compression. If all went well, the crystal should fit nicely. I hope this helps.
Pete

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
posted
I think Peter has a good point in asking you, first, what kind of crystal? I'd expand that to ask why kind of watch.... brand, open-face, hunter-case etc.?

If it's open face and has a plastic crystal, I usually just hold the bezel and pop out the crystal with my thumb. I then throw the old crystal as far as I can (I hate them).

But... a hunter-case is a different story. Fitting a hunter-case crystal involves much more elaborate measurement... for instance, thickness and "dome" height may be critical. Therefore, I would take far greater precautions in preserving any passable hunter crystal.

IF you have a railroad watch that is anything but brand-new, it is highly likely that the crystal is NOT original. Crystals took a lot of abuse and were readily replaced.

Why not give us the specifics of your watch and the composition and condition of your existing crystal. Many of us replace crystals often and will be glad to help.

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
posted
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your comments. Here is a little more detail.

The watch is an Omega Speedmaster. The crystal is acrylic with a split tension ring.

Where I went wrong with this (and I did so on three occasions much to my wallet's dismay) was that I tried to compress the crystal while it was too cocked and actually had the lip of the crystal far over the edge. I also tried to compress using basically flat nylon disks or flat with right angle sides (i.e. no angled die at the side of the crystal).

I can post photos but the above paragraph out to conjure up images that would make you cringe. Wink

Posts: 89 | Location: Chicago, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: November 14, 2004
posted
I'm cringing... Wink

I've just been working on a '63 Seamaster with an acrylic crystal. One of those many-toothed crystal lifts works wonderfully. It usually takes me some fiddling to get the split ring to stay put and end up where I want it.

I'm not sure how the nylon dies you mention fit into the picture. What sort of tool are you using to remove and install the crystals? I've only used the simple crystal lifts, so someone else may be more help if you have something fancier.

Posts: 2 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: April 22, 2006