Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Sourcing Elgin parts "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1691
posted
Hello, as this is my first post I guess I should introduce myself.

My name is Peter and I live in Sydney Australia. I caught the pocket watch bug about a year ago when I purchased an old German staking set at a country swap meet - and then decided I should get some watches to go with it.

So a year later I have some nice Omega and Elgin pocket watches, and lots in need of bit and pieces. I've been building up a collection of tools and parts and contacts for the usual stuff like crystals and main springs, but I'm now looking for some specific jewels or settings. I've done a bit of a search here and other places without too much luck.

Anyway, attached is an image of an Elgin 466 I purchased recently. I've replaced the missing screws from parts I have(although I would like some nice gold ones)but I am in need of the bridge jewel for the third wheel.

Any pointers on where I could source these and similar bits? As I imagine most stuff is stateside, email addresses or internet sites would be great.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Peter

Posts: 259 | Location: Melbourne in Australia | Registered: March 19, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Peter, welcome to our club. Birs and parts such as your jewel, plate screws, etc., are most easily found by buying parts movements on eBay. Most of us who restore our watches have a fairly large resouce of these oddments. If you can list all the specific parts and serial number of the movement they are for we should be able to help round them up. The gold plated screws may be hard, but certainly parts could be found to finish the watch. You might have a jeweler there weho could touch up the screws that need it.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1691
posted
Thanks Dave, I have been collecting bits an pieces, parts watches etc but still have a long way to go.

Still, at the moment I'm only after the third wheel jewel for this Elgin movement #21548213.

Regards
Peter

PS I enjoy your posts and videos - very helpful

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Peter,
This may be what you are looking for. As David said, most of us keep all our parts. The fourth wheel jewel is missing but the third wheel may be the same thing. If you want to try it I'll send it to Sidney.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 1691
posted
Hey Patrick. I have also been scouring ebay and have something similar in transit - from a grade 387.

I'll see how it goes when it arrives, and if it doesn't work out I will take you up on your kind offer.

Regards

Peter