Internet Horology Club 185
advice re: restoring cleaning machine

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426047761/m/4633996487

February 26, 2015, 17:37
Todd Verriere
advice re: restoring cleaning machine
hi everyone, i am in the process of doing a full restoration on my zenith leader cleaning machine.
although it was functional when i received it, the motor smelled funky when running, the old wiring is suspect and someone had badly painted it an ugly wine red.

dalarry
February 26, 2015, 17:41
Todd Verriere
so i have decided to do a full tear down, rewire and restoration. it is now out for sandblasting and after tearing down the motor found the brushes were finished. does anyone know what color this machine should be? i think it could be beautiful. I am thinking about painting it high gloss white. i still have some white left from a car i restored a few years ago.
Todd

dalarry
February 26, 2015, 18:06
Patrick Wallin
After being primed ,most of the ones I have seen are a dull flat black , slightly on the crinkle side. The texture of raw cast iron is about right.
February 27, 2015, 14:11
Paul D. Trombley
Rustoleum Hammered Black would look real nice. They bought out a paint maker called Hammerite...

I has a nice textured finish. I used to use it to paint my undercarriage parts... rear axle housings...

But, I think white would look nice too... a lot cleaner look than old fashioned flat black.

Too bad you're in Montreal. I have one that needs to be re-brushed too.