Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham 1883 Winding Stem "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all,

Am redoing a Waltham 1883 pocket watch and need advice regarding the winding stem.

1. Is the winding stem installed in such a manner that the winding function is normally engaged and the pendant pulled up to effect setting, then returned to the engaged wind position? There doesn't seem to be any other way to do it but the one I am working on is somewhat loused-up and has been slugged to effect a fit.

2. Does anyone out there have available a winding stem for this model? I can probably refit by again slugging to achieve the proper length, but would prefer to replace it.

Thanks and regards to all.

Henry

Posts: 11 | Location: Durham County, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: October 20, 2004
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Hi Henry:

If you are talking about the winding stem on the case, then the fact that there is an 1883 Waltham movement in it should have little impact as the case and movement often start out life in different places. A jeweller usually matched up a movement and case on site. If you need a new stem for the case it will likely need to come from a like case and not a like movement.

Quote “Is the winding stem installed in such a manner that the winding function is normally engaged and the pendant pulled up to effect setting, then returned to the engaged wind position? "

Normally yes (unless a lever set watch), however the depth of stem drop can be adjusted by using a sleeve wrench in the stem tube to adjust the stem drop higher or lower. You will need to remove the crown to see the adjustment sleeve, and obviously a sleeve wrench (see pic).

I hope I have answered your question and that this is of help.

Best regards,
Grant

Grant Perry

sleeve

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
Hi Grant,

Many thanks for the comeback, especially for the confirmation that the stem is normally engaged for winding - I had assumed this, but needed a little backbone stiffening before proceeding further - no, this is not a lever setting watch.

My real problem lies in the fact that, in previous butchering, the stem was excessively shortened and compensated by installing a lead plug to make up the difference. This difference is not correctable by sleeve adjustment, which I have tried. If I can't find a suitable replacement winding stem it will be necessary to make a compensatory filler piece to allow for the shortening - have already purchased several supposed replacements, only to finsd them off size both in diameter and configuration.

As a matter of interest, the repair of this apparently upjeweled watch has become an interesting odessy - stating with the necessary replacement of all oversized mounted jewels from scratch and progressing through wheels, the spring, pallets,and whatever, to hopefully this final involvement with the winding stem. It has been an interesting project for a rank beginner and I have learned a lot - much of which is owed to the wonderful members of this Chapter.

Again, many thanks.

Henry

Posts: 11 | Location: Durham County, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: October 20, 2004
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Wow, sounds like a project and a half. Way to go.
I have some stems, but without trying them I'm not sure they would work Frown
I guess if you could provide the dimensions of what you need and pehaps a picture of the original, I can see if I have anything that may work.
gp

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
Henry, Stems are very tough to fit to a case. The problem is finding the exact stem. I have boxes of stems, and Murphy's law is that you will never have the right one for an exact fit. You are not only concerned about the diameter, you must have the right depth, and the right size and threads to replace your same crown. Finding all to match is a tough find.

Using the filler plug might be the way you will have to go to continue using the case. Over the years,I have seen all manner of devices used as filler plugs, ie, a piece of a toothpick (Wood or plastic) shaved to size, lead as in yours, and a small rolled up ball of aluminum foil. Old watchmakers were pragmatists. If it worked, that's what you did--as long as the customer was satisfied.

Actually, the stem might not have been altered. It might be a jeweler added replacement stem and that was all that he could get to fit to that case. So, he added the filler plug so as to have a useable watch for his customer.

Good luck.

Tom

posted
Hi Tom,

Thank you for the down-to-earth advice. Guess I'm trying to be a bit too finiky in seeking to do a 100% repair job - I may attempt machining a new stem just to get the experience, but most probably will take the easy way out and go with a filler piece.

This watch has really presented a challenge, but has also been a wonderful learning experience. Books available to me do not deal with mounted jewels, bar mounted pallets, and wind/set arrangements such as were employed. When I got it, the spring was set, the jewels broken up, plate holes deformed, the pallets loose, and several wheel arbors broken. Solutions have been slow, but I'm getting there - I think.

Thanks again.

Henry

posted
Henry, If the watch was that much of a basket case, and you have brought it this far--great for you. I am self taught, with the help of several watchmakers. The one thing that I have learned is that I run into something different on every watch that I tear down. These rascals were manufactured just to give us fits.

Keep with it and don't be shy on asking questions

Good luck, Tom