• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

what did I do wrong "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all, its been a while since my last post. I am just an entusiastic beginner but I gain new skills with every watch I sucessfully save.

Some time ago, I bought a Illinois Grade 130 Serial # 916185 Size 4 Jewel Ct. 7 in a pretty gold filled hunter case.
It ran fine, but was difficult to set and took a little persuasion to wind but it kept pretty good time good time. I traced the problems and sourced some spares; replacing the winding stem parts, click spring and setting lever. The rest of the watch was pretty much untouched with exception of a light lube. It went together fine and now sets and winds as I believe it should.
The bad news it that it now gains time at a rate of about 5 second an hour with little effect from the regulator regardless of its position. Im at a loss and I cant think what I have done wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 35 | Location: Victoria in Australia | Registered: July 30, 2013
posted
Paul it could be a number of things, but I would check the hairspring to make sure it is level and that it is not dragging on a balance arm or hitting the underside of the center wheel or balance cock. Check the regulator pins to make sure they are not pinching the hairspring.

Wouldn't hurt to demagnetize the movement just to be safe.

Rob
www.pocketwatchrepairs.net

Posts: 580 | Location: Kingsport, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: November 26, 2002
posted
Thanks Rob, I was leaning towards the hairspring. It looks fine but as you say, something may be pinching or dragging. Im going to take it back down and give it a good clean too, incase there is oil on the spring under the cock where I cant see it. Im still open to sugestions whilst I fix that up.

posted
Well, it was a doh moment! I had two hairspring coils between the regulator pins. Must have had a tiny oil contamination and stuck two together when i put the balance assembly back in. It was really hard to see at first, but all seems good now, with a centerted regulator. Just have to do the fine tune and i hope all will be well. THANKS AGAIN!
I really love this site.

posted
Good catch Paul that should get the timing back in order!!!

Rob
www.pocketwatchrepairs.net

Posts: 580 | Location: Kingsport, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: November 26, 2002