• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A Question of Magnetism "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Whilst checking dims on a couple of Hamilton balance staffs I was surprised to see the staff 'fly' across the table and stick to the jaws of my caliper. I am using a Mitutoyo Absolute Digimatic which I always thought was made in Stainless Steel. Has anybody else experienced this as I raises some questions which some of the more learned members may be able to help with.
1. Are'nt the staffs for Hamilton's anti-magnetic? have I bought a couple of 'fakes'
2. How can I de-mag the vernier, will passing it thru the demag machine screw up the internal electronics
3.I took out my Boy Scouts compass and was alarmed to find my staking set is also magnetised, will take a while to get the stumps/stakes demagged but how do you deal with press! Eek

If anyone can comment/suggest I would be very grateful

Best wishes

TJP

Posts: 83 | Location: Sleepy Sussex, United Kingdom | Registered: February 14, 2008