Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Nifty Timing Trick "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
All the serious timing work I do at the shop unsinf my Mumford. Here at home I sometimes want to check a watch when I finish it and hesitate buying another Mumford. I did get an acoustical thing on eBay for about $10.00 which I keep at home because it helps "hear" the movement.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This time, I was really interested in this 1890's Vintage RR Grade 15j G.M. Wheeler that I slaved over a hot workbench today to get running right. So the grey matter revived long enough for me to recall someone saying you could check time by putting a good watch on one ear and the unknown on the other ear. I figured why not try putting them on the "same" ear. First I listen to the watch that is unknown, then I add the "beat" of a "super watch" by laying it on the same pickup that is listening to the unknown watch, if they both stay in synch, its a "gooder". IT WORKED! Wink

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007