• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

plastic crystals "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I had a couple crystals come out and tried to snap one back in and it brokeon the edge.
Is there a trick to putting these in ? Mad

IHC Member 261
Chapter 111,Ottawa
NAWCC Member 158976,
Nepean, Canada

Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
With a plastic crystal,you are best off using a "crystal press".I used to have an old metal crystal cabinet with one built in to the top with a foot pedel to pop them in.It had several different size dies to insert into it for a close fit.Basically,it would bend and flex the crystal into the bezel,but took a little practise to master.I have also inserted them by hand,but found that you needed to glue them also.

Sam Williamson
NAWCC 154312
IHC Charter Member 14
Member Chapters 96 and 185

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
You can also use a constrictor type tool with open face watches. The open face plastic crystals are "stepped". The prongs of the tool grasp at about fifteen positions around the circumference of the crystal right above the step. The crystal chosen should be .50 mm larger than the diameter of the bezel opening. Any difference larger than this will cause too much stress and the crystal will craze and crack over time. These tools are readilly available and are not expensive. With the press Sam describes you can fit both hunting and open face.

Smile

If the .50 mm greater diameter is used there is no need to use glue. The crystal will remain snug and dust-proof.
Smile

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Here is a slide showing a hand crystal press and the cabinet style. I prefer using the hand press because you can get up close to your work and control the pressure better. The cabinet press was a neat idea but I have a hard enough time working on watches with my hands, much less my feet! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Also, when using either type, it's a good idea to use tissue paper between the dies and crystal. It lessons the chance of marring the crystal.

S. LaRose sells the hand press for $25.00. You can also use it to close snap-on case backs.

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003