• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Roller Remover Question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I must be dumb, but can someone out there with more experience/grey matter, explain to me how I use this set I just bought. I have a K & D staking set. Many thanks in advance.

Phil

Posts: 28 | Location: Mosman, NSW Australia | Registered: January 02, 2007
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Philip
this is the roller remover i use i will load a picture sometime later today showing you how it works.They work very good if used right. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Phil, This looks like a Rex roller remover. Operation is very simple. One of the pins from the second row is inserted in the hole in the side of the head with the jaws and the knurled ring is turned to open or close the jaws to allow the arms of the balance wheel to fit in underneath the jaws. in effect placing the balance upside down with the roller table above the jaws and the arms of the balance wheel under the jaws. The pin, which is part of the jaws extends underneath the knurled ring and is placed in the anvil table of your staking set after you line up the appropriate hole with the centering stake.using the same pin in the side of the head you then tighten the jaws until the roller table is supported well enogh that you will not damage it when you drive the old staff out. Now for the bad news, it appears to me that two of your stakes have their heads broke off and the third looks to have the remnants of an old staff in it. What you need is a stake that will fit over what is left of the pivot of the staff you are trying to drive out and at the same time will not go over the main staff diameter. When you have the stake in place over the pivot, one or two light taps should loosen up the staff enough that it will fall through with the balance wheel still attached. Hope I have at least given sufficient advice to be of assistance. Good luck. John

Posts: 299 | Location: Mount Brydges, Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 10, 2005
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
John did a good job explianing how these work.

In the picture you will see that the roller jewel lines up with the slot in the roller remover..Take your hairspring off then place the balance in the remover place a small screwdiver or something like that in the hole and turn the knurled ring to tighten up thr remover on the balance you need just enough pressure to hold it still don,t over tighten.

Then get a stake just big enough to go over the pivot of the staff and with a few lit taps with a jewelers hammer your roller table and saftey roller should come off okay.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
in this picture you will see that the balance has dropped down leaveing the roller table and saftey rooler setting loose on top of the remover.

I hold a little down pressure on the stake i use to keep the roller table from falling off the top after it comes loose.

posted
Thanks to both John & Samie for their assistance. This is why I joined this chapter! Luckily that is not my roller remover set! Mine is the same, but minus the broken stakes......once again, thanks guys.

Cheers, Phil

Posts: 28 | Location: Mosman, NSW Australia | Registered: January 02, 2007