Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

how i fixed a loose rotor bearing. your thoughts? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi everyone, Todd here.
i have had an old seiko automatic in my collection for many years. it was given to me by a dear friend.it never worked, but i love this watch because of who gave it to me. the problem with this watch was that the rotor bearing was loose and sloppy causing it to rub against the movement case and not be able to wind the watch

dalarry

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
i just bought a staking set and looking at the rotor bearing i saw that it is held together by the ring in the very centre of this pic, so i decided to repunch it.

dalarry

Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
i glued the rotor dead centre on a stump,then used a round punch to slightly flare the (rivet?) then used a edged punch to lock down the (rivet?) on three sides. see pic again!

dalarry

Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
it worked so well the bearing was too tight! so i held it tightly to the stump with a flat punch and tapped the rotor gently up and down with a pencil until it was loose enough that it moved freely but had no vertical play. watch is running perfectly!
wearing it now!
i am an admitted beginner, if anyone has any comments, suggestions, or criticism as to how i can improve my technique i am open to it.
is there an easier way to do this?

dalarry

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Would it have been possible to use a larger rounded punch to flair the bottom out instead of just punching the 3 edges? That might help to create an equal pressure on the bearings. There is no doubting that what you did worked though. The only 2 rotor repairs I did were on an ETA 2671 and Seiko 6119. The 2671 that I fixed was a similar repair to what you did, but the sidewall was thin enough that after repressing the top and bottom parts of the bearing together, I was able to flair the bottom out to make it more secure. The Seiko has the bearing on the movement, and the actual problem was that the rotor weight rivets were loose, so I just repunched them and that made the rivets tighter.

It is always fun to get something working again and back into service! Congrats!
Dan

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
Picture of Billy Kuhn
posted
Todd If you can give me the movement number I may have one off of a parts movement

Posts: 1012 | Location: Killen, Alabama in the USA | Registered: January 15, 2013
IHC Member 1691
posted
Not sure if this is of use, but the Watch Repair Channel has a video on replacing a rotor bearing at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL-MC4TKp84

Regards

Peter in Oz

Posts: 259 | Location: Melbourne in Australia | Registered: March 19, 2012
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
thanks guys for your input. i realized in hindsight a round punch closer to the outer edge would have done a better job. fortunately what i did is barely visible to the naked eye. and it worked!
thanks again
Todd

dalarry