Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Swiss Ball part needed "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Hi Friends,
I have a Swiss Ball 21 jewel mechanical pocket watch.
It has a problems that I hope you can help me with.
The escape wheel has a broken pivot and needs fixing or replacing.(it has capped jewels).
I hope there is somebody out there that can help me out.
Cheers
Gary

Posts: 340 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: September 10, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Gary,

The incabloc jewel cap on the balance wheel indicates a fairly new movement. I would suggest trying to find a parts movement...even a lesser model watch of the same caliber will probably use the same escape wheel. Repivoting the existing wheel is possible, but it is going to be expensive.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Roger,
Thanks for the reply and I would like to do what you suggest so will the 17 jewel 435 movement have the same escape wheel all be it needing a bit of polishing of the pivots?
I see a lot of them on ebay but have no idear where they may be found outside of ebay.

Gary

Posts: 340 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: September 10, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Gary,
I don't have parts listings for these watches so I can't say for certain that the 435 you suggest would be the same. Maybe someone can help you with that. If I had to guess, I would say the 17 jewel version would probably be the same. It is costly to manufacture and stock different parts so you have a good chance it will work. If you can get a 17 jewel movement cheap, I'd say it is well worth the gamble. Ebay would probably be your best source for a parts movement. A word of caution...if you do attempt to use the wheel from another movement, check to make sure the pivot diameter and overall length is proper. I would take the jewels apart and fit the hole jewels on the pivots or measure the non-broken pivot diameter against the good one. If that is OK, then when installing the escape wheel bridge, leave the cap jewel very loose. Once installed, then bring the cap jewel screw down slowly, constantly making sure the wheel doesn't bind before the screw is tight to make sure you have good endshake when the cap is all the way down. This will avoid breaking a cap jewel should the replacement wheel be longer than the original.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008