Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Damage caused by broken jewels "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is what can happen when a damaged jewel runs on a pivot.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Jewel that did the damage.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Picture perfect proof about NOT running a 'found' watch before having it checked over and COA'd by a competent watchmaker. Eek

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
I'm surprised it ran at all.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010

posted
Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the extreme tip of the staff has some curve to it. Therefore, I would not think you could rule out some form of impact that might have caused the initial damage to the jewel, and the balance still being able to freely move in the jewel causing the grooves in the pivot of the staff... Did the movement run in all positions?

Love these topics and pictures - keep them coming !!

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Member 1736
posted
Great instructional pics.

And as far as balloon chucks go... so far, I find the balloon chuck to be painfully awkward to use. It is easier for me to pull the hair spring and rollers and chuck the staff in to a collet than to use a balloon chuck.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Life Member
posted
While some damaged pivots are recoverable as Dave suggests, not this one. The pivot is actually cut about halfway thru its diameter by the ragged edge of the broken jewel. This watch was still able to run in all positions, albeit not very well. This is a customer's very nice Sangamo into which I will be installing a new staff and foot jewel.