Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cystal replacement "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
I get the feeling I should be able to handle this stuff on my own, but good advice is valuable and IHC members always have some. Here is my problem. I just bought a 1950s Elgin tank watch and the replacement crystal fell out of it. It is the common curved acrylic. There is a ledge that the crystal sits on. The crystal sits properly on the 9 and 3 sides but not on the 12 and 6 sides. This prevents the crystal from sitting on all four sides of the ledge, so it was only glued a little on the corners. I bought this one to wear once in a while so I want it as good as I can get it. Here are my questions. Should I just glue this one back on? If so, what kind of glue? Should I try to get a better fitting crystal? If so, what companies stock this stuff? Should I send this out and have it straightened out by a pro? Are there still glass crystals out there that I can use instead of a plastic one? I will appreciate your assistance.

Scott Cerullo
cerullo34@aol.com

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
Watch Repair Expert
posted
Crystals for dress watches are intended to be held in place with crystal cement, which should be available from any horological supply house.

The fit of the crystal should be close, but you shouldn't expect one to "snap" into the bezel the way a round crystal should.

Plastic crystals for your watch are probably still available, and you might find someone who has a glass one, particularly if you have the case number, and/or can provide the correct crystal number.

====================

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Scott,
It sounds like you have either the wrong crystal or that the case is bent. To check the case take the band off the watch and remove the back. Place the bezel on a flat surface lugs down and see it you have any rocking.This should be done with the crystal out.If you have rocking then the bezel is bent.
Also you must remove all the crystal cement out of the seating area and inspect that surface for uniformity. Often the seating surface has been srewed up and must be straightened out.
If you can't figure it out you can send it to me and I will fit it with a glass crystal if I have it. If I don't have glass I will put in plastic.
Hope this helps.

Rich Kuhn

NAWCC 128623
IHC Member 155

eMail: rich@watchmakerfinds.com

Web-Site: http://watchmakerfinds.com

eBay Auctions: watchmakerfinds eBay Auctions

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Steve, thanks for the info.

Rich,
The case is of a curved style. I guess I should of mentioned this. The ledge inside the watch where the crystal sets is also curved on the 3 and 6 o'clock sides and straight on the 12 and 6 o'clock sides. Unfortunately, the bottom of the crystal is curved on the 12 and 6 sides. It would be impossible for this crystal to fit flush into the watch on all sides. I think I will take you up on your offer and let you take a look and see if you have a more appropriate crystal. I have the feeling the original crystal may have been shaped more like an "A" frame roof, with the ridge going from the 3 to the 9. I believe this is called a faceted crystal. Give me an email to let me know the details and address.
Regards,
Scott

Scott Cerullo
cerullo34@aol.com

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Scott,
My computer does not want to take your email address. Would you mind emailing me and I will reply, maybe that will work.
Sorry for the trouble.
Rich

Rich Kuhn

NAWCC 128623
IHC Member 155

eMail: rich@watchmakerfinds.com

Web-Site: http://watchmakerfinds.com

eBay Auctions: watchmakerfinds eBay Auctions

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002