Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

progress report on my first restoration "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
Hello to all my new friends!
Todd the beginner here.
So, i have taken on an 1884 elgin grade 96 full plate as my student watch.i managed to get it disassembled without damaging anything,but it was filthy and full of lint and small hairs. i am hoping that is why it wouldn't run. now that it is apart i am waiting on supplies to clean it properly so i started with polishing. i am attaching a couple of pics of the barrel bridge after i polished the heck out of it. i welcome any comments, criticism, or suggestions.
thanks, Todd

dalarry

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
second pic

dalarry

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Just go slow and easy and pretty soon You will have it down good.
Would you care for some pamphlets and How to books via PDF?

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 1650
posted
Todd

Welcome to the club!

I know you are anxious to get the movement cleaned up, but you generally don't want to polish the plates and bridges. It removes the gilding and/or damaskeening. The cleaning solutions (you may have already ordered) will brighten the plates - that's about all you really want to do.

Good luck with your project!

Doug Weaver

Posts: 372 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
Yes Patrick, i am interested in any info that will improve my knowledge, thank you.
i guess polishing was a bad idea, i figured since the plates were unadorned with any damaskeening and were just plain brass, polishing was the way to go. live and learn.
i wanted to have the nicest 19th century pocket watch on my block.
thank guys
Todd

dalarry

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Hi Todd,

The brass plates were gilded with gold to prevent oxidation. If you have the polished plates gold plated, it would prevent them from darkening and remain mirror-bright indefinitely! Smile

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
Great idea William!
2 questions
i will start another thread re: plating
thanks
Todd

dalarry