Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Installing a crystal "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
I received a watch today that came with a new crystal in it. It seems to fit ok and doesn't fall out but it will turn in the bezal. What kind of glue works best and what is the best way to apply it.

Thanks,
Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Steve,

Here is a answer I gave a while ago to lose crystal, hope it helps

There are of course many different ways to do this and numerous adhesives I prefer a UV setting type made for this application. The first things is to remove the old bezel and completely clean all the glue away sometimes simple peg wood is enough you may need to soak in chemicals etc to soften, avoid the temptation of using screwdrivers, tweezers etc or any other sharp object close to hand! As you will scratch the bezel once cleaned select the correct diameter of crystal then also check for hand clearance etc. Remove bezel and degrease cleaning out the groove completely, thoroughly clean the crystal also degrease. Once they are perfectly dry using the micro applicator needle and in one smooth motion rotate round leaving a thin bead inside the bezel lip only. Without touching the now perfectly clean crystal, pick it up, I use a old blob of rodoco, now this is a one shot deal, if you miss you will have glue everywhere and need to clean everything out and start again. Place the crystal in to the bezel and rotate about half turn to draw and evenly seat the adhesive making a seal, place under the UV lamp box.. this of course is for a typical glass crystal, there are many other adhesives for plastic WW, specialized for waterproof watches etc not to mention press fit plastic crystal for pocket watches & WW.
NEVER used superglue for ANYTHING watch related it dries and fractures, there is no place for it on the bench It lasts long enough for someone to glue a watch together and get it sold on ebay! Just about the time they have had there positive feedback all those parts start falling out; hairspring collet, roller tables, jewels, plates, crystals etc I seen them all glued in place.

You can buy the UV glue at Wal-mart, Lowes etc I think less than $5 leave it in a sunny window to set.

www.Abellwatchmakers.com

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Chris,

Thanks for heads up on the UV cement. When I first read your post I figured I would have to search the Internet for watchmaker suppliers to find "UV Crystal Cement" ($19.95 + 10 S&H) and $29.00 UV lamp from Lights-R-Us. I then decided I would just include that bezal along with the next watch I sent to and let you take care of it at the same time. But now that you have simplified the process, I think it might be a reasonable undertaking for me. Thanks for the heads up....you da man hands down.

Steve

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Well I just got back from Lowes and Walmart and no UV cement of any kind. I am now forced to find it on the Internet which I have. I found some at a jewelry supply house called "Otto Frei" and have posted the site below. I bought 3 tubes @ $5.95 each and a S/H charge of $8.20.

Steve

UV Crystal Cement

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Chris,

I followed your directions to the "T" and everything worked out perfect. Only had a slight problem getting the cement to flow through that little needle tip. Had to clean it out once before it began to flow but after that it worked fine. Thanks for your instructional assistance, it is much appreciated.

Steve

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Good to hear you where successful with the crystal cement, Once completed I draw the plunger back a little seems to keep the nozzle clear for next use, storing in a dark draw of course

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Chris,

After I got done with it I replaced the cap and cleaned the nozzle with lacquer thinner and blew it out with my blow gun on my compresser. Wasn't sure when I would need it again. Good advice about storage in a dark place.

Thanks again,

Steve