Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

South Bend timing adjustment?? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
I have a very nice South Bend 16s 227, and was wondering how the timimg is adjusted on this watch? Is it that little gear like thing on the end of the shaft? If so, what kind of tool is required to reach in there? Maybe the watch must come apart to adjust? Just curious on this one.

Larry

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Larry,

The South-Bend 21-Jewel Grade 227 is a great watch. During the 1920s it was the lowest priced fully approved Railroad Watch Made in America. About 40,000 Grade 227 were produced. It shares the basic design of all 16-size model 2 South-Bend movements. Regulation adjustment on these watches is actually quite simple. Close examination will reveal slots evenly cut all around the adjustment wheel. A small screwdriver can easily be used to move the wheel in either direction toward the "F" or "S" for faster or slower as indicated on the balance bridge. Unlike other designs you need not insert the blade from the side, but rather just use it to turn the adjustment wheel from above.

Regulation details on Model 2 South-Bend Grade 227 movement...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
That's what I thought Lindell, but unlike your example, my adjustment wheel is not flush against the plate as I see on your watch. I tried to turn it, but it didn't move. I used very little force though. Maybe something is broken or warped with mine?

Larry

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Larry,

Can you post a picture of your regulator?

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Picture of the problem. The adjustment wheel appears to be wedged, so it will not turn. Judging by the scratches, it's been hard to turn for awhile.

Larry

posted
Larry,

It looks like the regulator is maxed out ant this in turn allowed the screw to come out aginst the bridge. I would pull the balance off and try to adjust it back in if possible. You may have to pull the screw out and deburr it to get it to fit properly.
Also, if these regulators work properly it should be relatively easy to turn. I use a piece of hard peg to turn the screw as this is less likely to mar than a screwdriver. If it turns stiff, I use a sharpened brass rod to prevent scratching.

Hope this helps.

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Aaron

Larry