• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

pocket watch size "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I was just wondering if there is much difference in size of parts for example could someone take a complete balance cock from a waltham 18 sz and put it into a waltham 16 sz.I,m just curios .

IHC Member 261
NAWCC Member 158976,
Nepean, Canada

posted
Veritas,

In my expierence although limited parts are not interchangeable between sizes reguardless of the manufacture. The only exception I could think of might be some screws. As far as the balance is concerned the overall weight would be different along with the pivot sizes.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope this helps.

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
As Aaron notes, few parts other than some screws are likely to be interchangeable between sizes (or models), although some jewels are also interchangable. In the example that Veritas poses there is no interchageablility, as the 18-size is a full-plate watch with a relatively low-profile balance cock, whereas a 16-size cock is most of the thickness of the watch. Also, for any of the bridges the steady pins are in different positions for each model and size.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003