• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 992B Intermittent Winding Problem "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Occasionally, when I start to wind the watch the crown spins freely in both directions. Most of the times if I loosen or tighten the front bezel the watch will wind OK. Sometimes I need to pull out and push back in the setting lever.

I first noticed this problem after the watch was repaired (staff replacement, cleaning and lubricating). The repair person said it was a problem with the click inside the case which could not be repaired

What is your opinion and what should I do next

Posts: 9 | Location: Jerusalem, Israel | Registered: May 23, 2012
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Reuven,
Sounds like there is not much you can do yourself, you would need to take the dial off and investigate further, if your not comfortable doing this I would find another repair person and have them give more detailed response with photographs of broken parts if any, I am sure people here may have the required parts.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Chris
After viewing a bunnspecial video on disassembling a 922 I screwed up my courage and took my 922B movement out of the case. Regarding the case there is only the crown screwed onto the stem. Nothng in the case has anything to do with the problem. Something is causing the clutch to move away from the winding pinion. (for the following, please refer to the attached photo) At this point I am stuck because I dont know how to remove the setting lever to get at the clutch lever and associated parts. The lever is held on its pivot and I applied gentle prying without success. Any advice on how to get the lever off and what to look for

Posts: 9 | Location: Jerusalem, Israel | Registered: May 23, 2012
IHC Member 1613
posted
Reuven,
If you look on the back side of the movement..On the mainspring barrel bridge (the one with the big winding gear) you should see a blue screw..That is the shipping lever screw that is holding the shipping lever on..Loose it and the lever should come off..Before you do that pull the set lever out like you are setting the hands and push it back in a couple times to see if the clutch is moving up and down on the winding stem correctly..Is it sluggish or does it move quickly and freely..From the picture it looks like it might be just dirty or stem and gears are pitted from rust that is keeping them fronm moving freely..If that is the case you have to dissasemble it from the other side of the movement and take the stem and clutch out and clean or replace them if they are pitted up to badly so all the parts move freely..

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Rueven,

Here’s a link to instructions on how to service your watch:

TM 9-1575 War Department Technical Manual.

You’ll find the 992B on pages 84-103. There are detailed descriptions of the winding and setting mechanism which may help you.

RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Good job Richard,
That's why I like this forum. Folks helping each other.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011