Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Balance screws "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
My question is, what measurement is used to denote the diffrence in weights between the balance scews. Are they usally measured in grams or some other unit of measurement.Thanks.

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Frank,
My balance screw scale says MG. I think this stands for mili grams. I tried to post a picture of the scale but I got rejected because the picture was too big.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Once upon a time, coming out of the factory, they were measured to one ten-millionth of a pound. I have no idea what that coverts to in grams. The difference in one ten-millionth of a pound difference between two opposite balance screws supposedly equaled a 24 second variation per/day.

Frank "407" Kusumoto

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
posted
Hi Brian
Thanks for the information. I have two follow-up questions for you. Could you tell me the name, and the range of the scale you have.And lastly, what do you find as the average weight of the timing screws that you've measured. I am looking to buy a scale, and want to get one that will suit the purpose. Thanks.

Frank, I think that those scales are tough to find anymore. Big Grin Wink

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Hi Frank,
My balance screw scale is large and it came from the Hamilton Watch Factory. The dial says it's a Roller-Smith, Bethleham, Pa. The dial says it has a 3mg capacity with divisions .02. I only use the scale to compare balance screw weights to one another.
I've tried to buy a scale to weigh balance screws before I got this one. All the gold scales in grams did not work. I tried scale company after scale company without any luck. I finely located a company that wanted some sample screws to try and weigh them. They sent me back a letter saying they had a scale that would work. I forget now what the price was but I think it was about $2,000.00. Needless to say I didn't get it.
I will send you some pictures of my scale in an e-mail.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Hi Brian

Thanks for the reply, I'll look for your email. I have been looking at a couple of companies that make scales, that are digital,and measure 0 to 10gr.X 0.001gr. divisions. They want about 250.00. I have to keep looking, I guess.

Frank

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Frank,
I'm pretty sure those won't do. Before I'd pony up the money for a scale, I'd send the company a few screws to see if their scale can weigh them. I sent you some pictures last night.
Brian C.

posted
Brian
Thanks for sending the pictures of your scale. It looks pretty easy to read the results.

As for your advice in checking out the scales before buying,good advice to follow. I guess it's back to the hunt for me. I hope that it does not take me the same time to find one as it did you, I might lose interest in what the screws weigh. I will let you know how I make out, hopefuly before you forget what the question was to begin with. ;

Frank Wink