• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

One Dip vs New Dip. Are they the same? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I ordered a bottle of One Dip from Twin City Supply but they sent me a can of New Dip instead. When I called to complain that they had substituted another product without asking me, they said that it was the exact same product from the same company (they just changed the name and the packaging). They sounded sincere, but as a newbie I don't know if that is true or BS? Are they the same?

Posts: 16 | Location: Hills of Eastern Connecticut | Registered: August 27, 2005
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Tony,
I don't know the answer to your question, but if you want to know for sure, request MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) for both products. The MSDS will give you the exact ingredients and formulation, as well as all saftey precautions (if any) that need to be observed in the storage, transportation or use of the product. If the two MSDS are the same (except for the product name), the products are identical.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
I recently bought out a bunch of stuff from a retired watchmaker, and there was a very tall bottle labeled TRICHLOROETHYLENE that he bought from a pharmacy and used for hair springs.

Funny thing - it smells just like One Dip (and Dip Once, and without a doubt New Dip). And, according to the watchmaker, it was a whole lot less expensive.

In any event I won't have to buy any for a while Big Grin

Posts: 72 | Location: Mechanicsburg, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: July 18, 2004
posted
Trichloroethylene--I would recommend doing a search on the hazards of this product, if you decide to use it. I worked all my life for General Motors in maintenance and this chemical was banned from plants years ago. Factories used it to degrease machinery because it worked and would not burn--though it will flash violently over an open flame.
As to health effects--when inhaled, trichloroethylene depresses the central nervous system beginning with headache, dizziness and confusion and progressing with increasing exposure to unconsciousness and death. Caution should be exercised anywhere trichloroethylene vapors are present in concentration, because it quickly desensitizes the nose to its scent. It is possible to inhale lethal amounts of vapor due to the poor warning qualities.
In animal studies, chronic trichloroethylene exposure produces liver cancer in mice. It is known to promote formation of tumors--though not fully understood. Trichloroethylene is currently categorized IARC 2A--reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen.
I would think about using this chemical. However, the small amount used to clean hairsprings probably poses really no threat, if you don't breathe it or absorb it into the skin.
I believe benzene was used years ago in the cleaning of watches by watchmakers--you don't want to use that (if you can find it).
Regards,
Larry

Posts: 111 | Location: From the Heartland of America | Registered: February 17, 2005
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
My bottle of One-Dip indicates that it contains Trichloroethane. Is this the same, or is it more (or less) harmful?

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Jerry and others,

First, let me point out that the quantity used to clean hairsprings, etc., will most likely never harm you at all--but avoid breathing over it or excessive skin exposure, especially before eating. As far as I can determine, these two chemicals are very much similar and have identical side-effects or warnings. Also, I don't know the percentage used in the make-up of One Dip's contents, but assume it is the major part thereof.

WITH CARE, I CERTAINLY WOULD NOT HESITATE TO USE ONE DIP CAREFULLY TO CLEAN WATCH PARTS. I JUST POSTED FOR AWARENESS OF WHAT YOU ARE HANDLING.

It's certainly not like washing down a large machine where people have died from inhaling the fumes in pits below the floor level in factories. I was exposed to 55 gallon drums of it--a lot worse scenario.

Here is a link-- http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts70.html you can read all about answers to your inquiry. If this doesn't take you there--just do a search by typing in one word--trichloroethane. Please read the above site's information about trichloroethane and I think you will agree you'll be OK and glad to know what it is.

Larry

Posts: 111 | Location: From the Heartland of America | Registered: February 17, 2005
posted
I worked for Dustbane enterprises here in Ottawa. Back in the 80,s we used trichlorethylene alot.It was used to soften rubber grips, tubing to slide over metal handles.it expanded the tubing and made it easier to slide on.
I used to work barehanded in the stuff and inhaled plenty of fumes, and i got light headed and giddy and after a while could not feel my hands very well.Eventually when i learned much later of the hazards of this stuff i told my boss to shove it when that job came along later.
I do not have a clue what are my chances for health problems later in health.
I don,t see a big problem working with small quantities at a time.I worked in a tub that held about 20 gallons of this stuff.
I use naptha gas to clean hair springs and it works ok for me.

posted
I've kept a small[2"H x 1 1/4W] Baby food jar with an oz. of One Dip in it[lid seals tight] on the bench for years. Hint make sure the pallets and roller jewel are shellacked not super glued by those who commit that sin!

Posts: 52 | Location: Richland, Washington USA | Registered: April 19, 2003
posted
A small splash of one-dip will weld shut the plastic drawers of a G-S crystal cabinet. Roll Eyes
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004